Wednesday 24 December 2008

Why I Blog About Africa

No matter how detached I might sometimes feel from Nigeria and Africa, or view other cultures and then look at mine and ask what it is that hasn't happened yet?, I still feel that I can never abandon Africa. Growing up in Nigeria has greatly influenced who I am, and for this reason, my writing has elements of Africa in it.

Whether I am writing about complexities on myself, fiction or complaining about culture and people, I think it all relates to me hoping that there can be an alternate future for the African continent. That even when I read other African blogs, I go there hoping to find something new that marks improvement. It is the hope that when I visit Niyitabiti, I'll see something really exciting about Nigeria's emerging youth and entertainment culture.

And even being away from Nigeria makes me feel like I see the counrty better. I mean it's understandable that some people might disagree with me thinking I have a better vista, just because I'm outisde. But I feel that being away sought of puts me on some precipice where I can look down and see things that those in the valley might ignore. And I think that is why I blog about Africa, to tell what I see, when I look down.

I tag Jaja, Allied, Naijababe

6 comments:

akinlabi said...

you are right there: you have the benefit of looking down the precipice and shout horror! horror! even when those it is happenig to are taking things for granted, and we always do in naija.What was it Edward Said said about the pleasures of exile?you sure can talk comparatively because of your location, it is a good thing,the enlightenment exile imbues us with.

Jennifer A. said...

I like your reasons..probably because I feel the same way about Africa..."connected, yet apart."

'Yar Mama said...

Happy New Year!!!

'Yar Mama said...

Happy New Year!!!

Unknown said...

click site more my link Bottega Veneta Dolabuy see this website find out here

thatey said...

go to the website see this page i thought about this Dolabuy Prada click over here now read what he said